Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Day 19: January 19, 2016


Detroit used to scare me. All I ever heard about it while I was growing up was about crime, drugs, and violence. My family moved when I was 11 because people from Detroit were moving in our neighborhood. Growing up hearing that made me want nothing to do with Detroit. 

Being timid about the city followed me into my young adult years. I went to Tigers and Red Wings games here and there, but always with the voice in the back of my head saying we were going into a danger zone. 

On my first day taking the bus to work, during my three-block walk from the bus stop to my building, two people said hi to me. Two complete strangers with nothing to gain from saying hello, with nothing but smiles. 

This week I had to start working a different shift and taking a different bus. I didn't realize I had to transfer to a different bus, and my bus driver just kicked me off the bus at the end of the line. I was completely terrified, anxious, on the verge of tears, and frozen from the -2 degree wind chill. But a lady stood next to me at the bus stop and kindly answered all of my questions about the new bus. 

I've been treated with nothing but kindness from the people of Detroit. I'm not saying everyone here is a saint, there's bad eggs everywhere. But they're definitely due more credit than they're given. 


No comments:

Post a Comment